We spent an amazing 5 days in the capital of the United States in April, 2014. I was always curious how is this big city, after we visited San Francisco, New York and Chicago, was time to go there.
This beautiful city was named after George Washington, the first president of the United States. The capital city is just the 23rd largest city in the US. by the population (646 500).
Where to Stay
We stayed in a 2 bedrooms apartment with my parents, who were with us. If you prefer houses or flats instead of hotels you can find a lot at the https://www.airbnb.com.What to Do in Washington DC
Washington DC with kids it's a perfect destination. The public transportation is very well organized. There are five big metro lines which are spread across the whole city. We didn't use a stroller anymore, but I think you can find elevators at the metro stations.
In DC every museum is FREE which is awesome. If you have small children and you have to leave an expensive museum after thirty minutes you feel you just wasted your money. But in this city you can come back as many times as you want, which is really helpful.
![]() |
| National Air and Space Museum |
This Museum was one of our favorite. We spend two mornings there and we still didn't finish watching the whole exhibit.
The National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC has thousands of objects on display, including the 1903 Wright Flyer, Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis, the Apollo 11 Command Module Columbia, and a lunar rock you can touch.
After the second visit to this museum, our younger one told us she would like to be an astronaut when she grows up. :)
If you would like to visit the zoo, I have a good news for you. There is no entrance fee. You can take a nice walk inside the zoo, watch the animals, such as elephants, lions, tigers, gorillas and pandas.
You can find a carousel and a small train in the zoo as well.
![]() |
| My children front of the museum |
When I was a child I use to go to many museums with my grandmother. I have such good memories that I became a big fan of the fine arts. I really would like to show my kids how beautiful a painting or a sculpture can be. It is not easy with small children to stay in a museum for a long time. I always try to give Sophie, my older one, some brain teasers to make our stay more interesting. This time she had to choose paintings which she liked the most and take a picture with a small camera.
![]() |
| Sculpture in the museum's garden |
- Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History
We loved this free museum so much, we visited it twice. You can find so many exhibitions it is hard to choose where to go. We watched a temporary exhibition about big beautiful living butterflies.
We visited the Sant Ocean Hall, where you can learn a lot about animals living in the ocean, and watch lots of videos about ocean life.
- The White House
We didn't go into the White House. Visiting the White House is not easy. You have to be US. citizen if you would like to take a tour or you have to talk to your Embassy in Washington DC to have a request to get in. My Kindergarten aged daughter was very excited to see the president's home.
- Lincoln Memorial
One afternoon we visited the Lincoln Memorial where there is a big Abraham Lincoln statue and two of his speeches inscribed on the walls. The Gettysburg Address and his Second Inaugural Address. The memorial has been the site of many famous speeches, including Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, delivered on August 28, 1963.
![]() |
| The Vietnam Veterans Memorial |
(5 days- April, 2014)




















I l



No comments:
Post a Comment