Parents of small kids usually teach them what sounds animals make.
When we moved to the US. my daughter was 4 months old and I just realized that even these easy words are different in English and in Hungarian (and in the other languages too). I went to a baby lap-sit with Sophie and we sang the song "Old McDonalds Had A Farm". I was singing happily until the part came "...on his farm he had a duck, e-i-e-i-o. With a quack, quack here...". Of course I recognized that I am the only one who was singing "hap, hap" instead of quack, quack. So very quickly I learned the English versions of the animal sounds. My favorite one in English is still what the rooster says. Do you know that one? Cock-a-doodle-doo which in Hungarian is "kukurikú".
When we moved to the US. my daughter was 4 months old and I just realized that even these easy words are different in English and in Hungarian (and in the other languages too). I went to a baby lap-sit with Sophie and we sang the song "Old McDonalds Had A Farm". I was singing happily until the part came "...on his farm he had a duck, e-i-e-i-o. With a quack, quack here...". Of course I recognized that I am the only one who was singing "hap, hap" instead of quack, quack. So very quickly I learned the English versions of the animal sounds. My favorite one in English is still what the rooster says. Do you know that one? Cock-a-doodle-doo which in Hungarian is "kukurikú".
But what does my youngest daughter think the rooster says?
We went to one of the Hawaiian islands, Kauai where lots of roosters were running on the road. Lili, my 2 year old just ran after them and shouted KEEKKAIYO. Who cares what they really say?
And what does the fox say? Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho! (hint)


No comments:
Post a Comment