Monday, November 11, 2013

How to feed the kid(s)



What a silly question, right? When we are at home with all comforts it is very easy to figure it out what and how to cook for our children. But when we are traveling it is not so easy, right?


One of my friends asked me to write about  how I organize meals.

Everything depends on how old is your child.
  • Under 5-6 months it is very easy. The mother breastfeeds her or give her formula as much as the she needs :).


  • The difficulties come after the first half year when the kids start to eat solid food but they can't chew yet. When we went camping I prepared a lot of foods at home and put them portioned them out in small jars. Why didn't I get the precooked food from the store? Because none of my daughters ate them. What a shame, right? What the mom cooks is much more delicious then what you can buy.
        

       If you don't have a portable high chair for the table at the camp site your children can sit in the stroller but if you are going camping more than once I recommend to buying one.



  • When a child can eat almost everything meals become easier to arrange. You don't have to cook something different for your child. When we are going camping usually I cook the night before and we bring food for our whole family for the first evening. If you are driving a lot and you have to make set up your tent it is easier if you have food which you can warm up fast.



If we are traveling I always want to give my kids the same food as at home. I mean I am trying to give them lots of fruits and vegetables instead of a lot of sandwiches. I am not telling you we never ate sandwiches or cereal bars (you will see them in these pictures ;), but if it is not absolutely necessary we eat a hot lunch and dinner as well.



When it is impossible to eat a hot lunch because we are hiking during lunch time I always carry bars/bananas/sandwiches/apples.




I also like to have these items in the car during a long drive to somewhere. If it is possible - because nobody is in a bad mood, nobody has to take a nap -  I like to eat in a nice restaurant too (even with kids).



No comments:

Post a Comment